Use this timeline and checklist as a guide as you promote your event.
One – Two Months Before Your Event
- Register your event with Alley Cat Allies’ interactive map (as soon as you schedule your event.)
- Submit your event to local online and print event calendars. Many newspapers, magazines, blogs, news channels, and websites have online calendars of local events and allow community members to post events.
- Send out a “Save the Date” email to potential attendees.
- Announce the event on social media.
One Month Before Your Event
- Create a Facebook event and invite your friends.
- Ask local animal protection groups to invite their supporters and provide them with sample text and posters.
- Post National Feral Cat Day posters in your community.
- Send a press release to local newspapers, radio stations, and TV stations, and follow up by email a couple of days later.
- Send a letter to the editor of your local newspaper about National Feral Cat Day.
- Send out a reminder email to potential attendees with more details about the event.
Two Weeks Before Your Event
- Follow up with local animal protection groups and ask if they need any help from you in reaching out to their supporters about your event.
- Put up more National Feral Cat Day posters and replace existing ones if needed.
- Follow up with reporters about press release.
Week Leading Up to Your Event
- Post about event on social media every couple of days to generate interest.
- Send out a final reminder email to potential attendees.
Day of Your Event
- Post about event on social media.
- Tweet live from your event if you’d like to.
- Make sure that if any reporters come to your event, you know who they are, greet them, and answer any questions they may have.
After Your Event
- Thank attendees via email and social media with an update about how the event went.
- Thank any reporters and bloggers who covered your event.
- Thank organizations who helped with your event via email and also by tagging them in social media posts.
- Post photos/videos from your event on social media.
- Email a short narrative about your event and any photos or videos to Alley Cat Allies so we can tell everyone how great your event was!